Tony DeMaio, Podcasting with a Purpose – InnovaBuzz 286
Tony DeMaio, Big Media USA
In this episode, I’m really excited to have as my guest, Tony DeMaio who is the founder and CEO of Big Media USA. Tony started his career as a football coach in the US College circuit and progressed to building a sports equipment manufacturing company and then on to Internet radio. He has been broadcasting since 2004 and now helps businesses grow through podcasting.
In our discussion, Tony and I talked about:
- Podcasting with a strategic purpose and an end in mind, related to quality listens rather than the number of listens
- Networking with a strategic purpose and how to turn a networking conversation into a relationship
- Many creative ways to utilise podcasting
Listen to the podcast to find out more.
Listen to the PodcastPlanning is critical. Be clear about the purpose of your show, why you do interviews, and what are you going to do with them once you have them. @TDBigMediaUSA on #InnovaBuzz podcast Click To Tweet
Show Notes from this episode with Tony DeMaio of Big Media USA
Key points and takeaways from this episode include:
- Where you get your referrals is critical. That becomes your marketing strategy.
- You can segregate your content in two ways, by topic and geographically.
- One of the ways to build your brand is to differentiate yourself from all the other people who are in the same space.
- You can build your brand through the people that you interview.
- There are many online and offline benefits of podcasting.
- Be cautious of who you interview and make sure that it’s going to build your brand and your content.
- Focus on the quality of leads rather than the number of leads.
- Podcasting is a great form of delivering information. Make sure that you’re giving out only quality information.
- Good quality content will always be king.
- In any kind of information exchange, discernment is the most important.
- Having good quality people and good quality content elevates your brand.
- Planning is critical. Be clear about the purpose of your show, why you do interviews, and what are you going to do with them once you have them.
- Having an outline of questions is good but you also need to be listening to your guest’s answers because an answer can spin another question.
- Remember that when doing interviews, you are representing your audience. Ask questions that you think your audience would want to hear.
- Break your questions into segments. Give specific examples. It makes your podcast more powerful. It gives credibility to the interview because people will know that you’ve been there.
- You can use a podcast to compress your sales cycle. By giving out good information, you gain a more educated client that allows you to compress your sales cycle. It adds credibility to your salespeople.
- You need to have a game plan when networking.
- Know the assets that you bring to a networking event. You have to know what will make you valuable to the people there.
- Always bring your great personality when going to a networking event.
- Volunteer to help. Networking is all about building relationships and not making a sale. Be helpful to people.
- Have a great story to respond to different situations. Don’t pitch!
- Asking for referrals is really important.
The Buzz – Our Innovation Round
Here are Tony’s answers to the questions of our Innovation round. Listen to the interview to get the full scoop.
- #1 thing to be more innovative – Solve problems! Take on the hard things that have to happen in your business to make it grow.
- Best thing for new ideas – Help other people solve their problems. Get out of the way we usually do things.
- Favourite tool for innovation – The internet and getting out to experience things.
- Keep project/client on track – Have a clearly defined purpose. A clearly defined purpose will help you define a process.
- Differentiate – Build your brand by who you associate with. Hone a message that’s different and not what people expect. Figure out the best process to reach your end goal. Find your niche and be true to yourself.
To Be a Leader
Be creative and look for ways to ulitise podcasting. It’s the most inexpensive tool to market yourself and build your brand. Know what assets you can bring to the table. Think about how you can help people and how they can help you.
You can reach out and thank Tony through their website.
Tony suggested I interview LuAn Mitchell of BigMedia USA. So LuAn, keep an eye on your inbox for an invitation from us to the InnovaBuzz podcast, courtesy of Tony DeMaio.
Cool things about Tony
- He’s the founder and CEO of Helping Heroes USA.org, a nonprofit dedicated to working with veterans and 1st responders to combat PTSD and TBI.
- He founded Life-Time Management and trained thousands of distributors and executives from many Fortune 500 companies in time management and sales skills.
- He has designed and held patents in weight and football training equipment.