Steffen Hedebrandt, How to Use Data to Understand Customer Journeys – InnovaBuzz 458
Steffen Hedebrandt, Dreamdata
In this episode, I’m really excited to have as my guest, Steffen Hedebrandt, Chief Revenue Officer at Dreamdata, a Revenue Attribution Platform that collects, joins, and cleans all data to give an insightful value to your business. Steffen is a subject matter expert in connecting marketing activities with revenue. He has an exceptional growth mindset, is data-driven by heart, and loves all parts of scaling the commercial side of a business.
A notorious growth hacker with a successful track record of scaling businesses and building teams at Upwork and Airtame, Steffen knows the pain points of rapidly scaling, marketing and growth firsthand.
In our discussion, Steffen talked to me about:
- Improving customer experience by knowing your data
- Using stories to instigate change
- The power of ruthless prioritization and focus
Listen to the podcast to find out more.
Listen to the PodcastKeep your customers happy. Keep communicating with them. Help them understand your product so they'll remain loyal to you. @SHedebrandt on #InnovaBuzz podcast Click To Tweet
Show Notes from this episode with Steffen Hedebrant, Dreamdata
Key points and takeaways from this episode include:
- Everything that you do in your organisation must be trackable.
- Google Analytics only looks at individual devices. It is a good tool but only if you can immediately convert a customer on the first visit to your website.
- No one is going to tell you 100% of what’s working. But if you know at least 60-80% of what’s working, that is enough for you to gain confidence and scale your activities.
- Combining data with experience is key.
- Keep your customers happy. Keep communicating with them. Help them understand your product so they’ll remain loyal to you.
- Attribution is all about understanding why things happen. It is understanding the things that took place before you successfully completed or achieved something.
- Stop doing the things that don’t work and keep repeating the things that do.
- Start by building a repository of data traces. Look at your daily activities in the company and figure out whether these things are leaving digital traces or not.
- Make sure that everything that you do leaves data traces because that is the foundation for being a data-driven organisation.
- Ask your employees to provide a narrative of why you are doing the things that you do to generate more revenue. Gather proofs that those activities are indeed making money.
- Ask your customers where they heard about you. Ask them what they appreciate about your sales process and what they think you can improve on. Those simple questions can tell you a lot about things that are working.
- Appreciate every human connection that you can build from one customer to another.
- Help each and everyone of your customers because each of them are super valuable. Speak with them to understand what’s going on.
- It’s important to be careful about using technology when it comes to interacting with potential customers.
The Buzz – Our Innovation Round
Here are Steffen’s answers to the questions of our innovation round. Listen to the conversation to get the full scoop.
- #1 thing to be more innovative – Write every idea down and don’t act on them right away.
- Favourite tool for innovation – Set only a few goals and execute only a few ideas. Write all your ideas down and ruthlessly prioritise the most important and easiest ones. Get them out of the way before opening up another box of new ideas.
- Favourite tool for innovation – Growth Hackers community
- Keep project/client on track – Help them simplify things that are important. Keep a closed loop communication and ruthlessly prioritise the most important things first.
- Differentiate – Find comfort in knowing that being different is better than better. Don’t be afraid to stand out.
To Be a Leader
Start creating narratives about what you do and why that leads to revenue. Be able to explain why you do the things that you do and how they lead you to a better place.
You can reach out and thank Steffen through their website.
Steffen suggested we have a conversation with Bo Møller of software agency, Twentyfour. So Bo, keep an eye on your inbox for an invitation from us to the InnovaBuzz Podcast, courtesy of Steffen Hedebrandt.
- Website – Dreamdata
- Twitter – @SHedebrandt
- Find out more about B2B Customer Journey here
Cool Things About Steffen
- He’s a regular contributor to Borsen.dk, Ivaekst.dk, TheNordicWeb.com and DigitalGlobalization.com (his own blog).
- He’s the Founder of Oslo meetup, where 700+ Professionals from all over the world come together on a weekly basis for runs and networking.
- He speaks Danish, English, German, and Norwegian.