Matt Garman, The Sales Playbook – InnovaBuzz 524
Matt Garman, Sales Enabla
Our guest in this episode is Matt Garman, the CEO and Founder of Sales Plus Profit, a successful sales consultancy, that helps businesses achieve their true potential by implementing his Sustainable Sales System©. Matt is also the creator of Sales Enabla; the first dynamic sales playbook and author of “Learning the Ropes: Achieving Sustainable Sales Performance Regardless of Changes in Personnel”.
SalesEnabla is a SaaS product that allows individuals to systemise their sales function and be less reliant on potentially transient salespeople who come and go. It allows companies to consolidate their sales knowledge, reinforce sales best practice and elevate their sales.
In our conversation Matt talked to me about
- Why the average time a sales person stays with a company is only 19 months
- Creating consistency, sustainability and continued success in your sales through a defined playbook
- Balancing process and systems with human connection and individual contribution
Mel Blackmore in episode 489 introduced us to Matt.
Listen to the podcast to find out more.
Listen to the PodcastThe way we recruit and onboard sales people is fundamentally broken. @mrmattgarman on #InnovaBuzz podcast Click To Tweet
Show Notes from this episode with Matt Garman, Sales Enabla
Key points and takeaways from this episode include:
- The way we recruit and onboard sales people is fundamentally broken. Most businesses take shortcuts.
- Sales is a process. Having a playbook enables a consistent approach across the sales organization. It enables modeling best practice.
- With a playbook, everyone knows the rules and expectations and the standards we operate too.
- The average tenure of a sales person in an organization is just 19 months. The average time before a sales person is actually contributing in the organization is 9-10 months.
- D minus 30 principle – in the one month notice period a new hire has with their existing organization, is a time where we can onboard our new hire, before they actually start working for our organization.
- The onboarding process starts the moment someone accepts a new job. Engaging the new hire both academically and emotionally reinforces that they’ve made the right decision.
- Sales Enabla is a fully customizable digital sales playbook – a complete environment with consulting templates, best practice libraries and plays, cast studies.
The Buzz – Our Innovation Round
Here are Matt’s answers to the questions of our innovation round. Listen to the conversation to get the full scoop.
- #1 thing to be more innovative – Try things and don’t be afraid of failure.
- Best thing for new ideas – Reading across many areas
- Favourite tool for innovation – My “virtual board” of people who are my sounding board.
- Keep project/client on track – Ask them to describe what success looks and feels like. The benchmark against that.
- Differentiate – Do what you are really good at and be yourself.
Life’s a journey – give the best version of you as much as you can. Try as many things that you can.
You can reach out and thank Matt through his website.
Matt suggested we have a conversation with Neil Lawton and John Creamer on a future InnovaBuzz Podcast episode.
- Website: Sales Enabla
- Website: Matt Garman
- World’s Toughest Row
- Twitter – @mrmattgarman
- Twitter – @salesenabla
- Learning the Ropes: Achieving Sustainable Sales Performance Regardless of Changes in Personnel, Matt Garman
- Why So Many Sales Hires Fail – Thinking Differently About Sales People, Matt Garman
Cool Things About Matt
- Matt, with 2 other dads, will undertake the ‘World’s Toughest Row’ – 3000 miles across the Atlantic Ocean from La Gomera to Antigua as part of the Talisker Whisky Atlantic Challenge, in December 2022.
- He completed a swim across the English Channel with a small team in July 2017.
- He built and exited two IT businesses.