Janine Kelbach, How to Dominate Your Niche and Grow Your Business – InnovaBuzz 382
Janine Kelbach, Write RN and The Savvy Scribe
In this episode, I’m really excited to have as my guest, Janine Kelbach. Janine is a wife, mom of two boys (and two Great Danes!), and author of the book, Entreprenurse: 30+ Nurses Turn into Business Owners and Share Their Secrets to Success.
Janine has been a freelance health content writer since 2013 and is the CEO of Write RN. She also hosts The Savvy Scribe Podcast – a podcast for healthcare professionals who want to build a profitable writing business. Lastly, her team of RN (registered nurse) writers help healthcare companies with their content and social media needs.
In our discussion, Janine talked to me about:
- The importance of niching down to a narrow area
- How she scaled her business by incorporating training
- Building an agency through partnerships and community
Listen to the podcast to find out more.
Listen to the PodcastYou can't be a generalist. You could be a good writer in a lot of different areas, but niching down is key, if you really want to grow. @JanineKelbach on #InnovaBuzz podcast Click To Tweet
Show Notes from this episode with Janine Kelbach of Write RN and The Savvy Scribe
Key points and takeaways from this episode include:
- You can’t be a generalist. You could be a good writer in a lot of different areas, but niching down is key if you really want to grow.
- Nurses are creative and innovative. They figure out how to do things differently than anybody else.
- The good always outweighs the bad. Don’t let bad experiences make you think you are bad in your profession.
- Write RN is Janine’s content agency where she and her team of nurse writers help healthcare companies with their content strategy, development, and social media marketing needs.
- The Savvy Scribe is where nurses who want to become writers can listen to Janine’s podcast and sign up for workshops and mini-lessons to help them create, plan, launch, and grow their health writing business.
- The Implementation Co-op is The Savvy Scribe’s accountability group, where Janine personally goes over each lesson and delves deeper into the topics via live training and Q&A sessions.
- Break medical terms and knowledge down to the patient’s level. You can portray this more with an informational tone rather than a conversational tone.
- Life is funny and you just have to go with it sometimes. Just do and control what you can control. Simplify things and focus on the important stuff.
- Podcasting is a great way to meet different people and learn from them.
- Niching down to grow your business is like growing a tree. You only need a few branches to grow a good tree. You need good roots and good branches, but you don’t need every stick and every leaf, to make a good foundation.
- Hard work doesn’t happen overnight. There is hard work every day.
The Buzz – Our Innovation Round
Here are Janine’s answers to the questions of our innovation round. Listen to the conversation to get the full scoop.
- #1 thing to be more innovative – Give yourself space and the time to be innovative. Just breakaway and ideas will come to you.
- Best thing for new ideas – Running. Give yourself the time to be strategic about coming up with ideas.
- Favourite tool for innovation – ClickUp
- Keep project/client on track – Keep following up. People are busy and they forget. If you don’t hear a response, just check-in again.
- Differentiate – Niche down. You don’t need to attract every single person in the world. You only need a smaller tribe of people who are your big fans.
To Be a Leader
If you are looking to grow your business, follow the people that are doing just a bit better than you. Don’t follow the person who’s making millions and millions of dollars. Don’t try to figure it all out if it’s already out there. Start following those people and invest in yourself and in your company to grow.
Janine suggested we have a conversation with author of Your Happy First Draft, Daphne Gray. So Daphne, keep an eye on your inbox for an invitation from us to the InnovaBuzz podcast, courtesy of Janine Kelbach.
Cool Things About Janine
- She’s a licensed Inpatient Obstetric Nurse.
- She completed her Associate’s Degree in Nursing at Lakeland Community College and her Master’s Degree in Nursing at Capella University.
- She enjoys the beach, outdoors, working out, and running.