Iggy Perillo, How to Authentically Lead Yourself and Others – InnovaBuzz 430
Iggy Perillo, WSL Leadership
In this episode, I’m really excited to have as my guest, Iggy Perillo from WSL Leadership. Iggy cultivates leadership masterminds for professionals and athletes who are seeking excellence in their work, sport, and life. She created WSL Leadership to develop leaders and teams who make the world a better place through enhanced connection, communication, and trust.
Iggy works with individuals, teams and organizations around the world helping them overcome challenges and function like champions.
In our discussion, Iggy talked to me about:
- How everyone is a leader in their own way
- How to build relationships and validate other people’s input even when you don’t agree
- The power of masterminds
Listen to the podcast to find out more.
Listen to the PodcastLeadership is using your power to make an impact in the world. It is being intentional about your impact. Iggy Perillo on #InnovaBuzz podcast Click To Tweet
Show Notes from this episode with Iggy Perillo of WSL Leadership
Key points and takeaways from this episode include:
- Better leaders make a better world.
- Leadership is using your power to make an impact in the world. It is being intentional about your impact.
- You can do many things in marketing and leadership without authenticity or you can be authentic and true to yourself. Being authentic makes everything move forward more quickly and directly, as well as with a high impact on the people and the world around you.
- Authentic leadership is all about figuring out what’s true to yourself. It is having the ability to make good choices that matter for yourself and the people around you.
- Vulnerability ultimately builds connection and trust.
- Trust helps teams flow and work together smoothly.
- Having leadership that recognises that people always have something to contribute makes teams stronger.
- Cross-functional teams are more effective in a lot of ways because you can get so many diverse perspectives within them.
- It’s important to communicate clearly with your team. Make sure that everyone feels heard and that they know they’ve been heard.
- It takes only a minute for people to recognise if they’ve been heard but don’t get to drive the show. Let them know they’ve been heard and take the time to explain to them why you’re not doing it their way. Make sure that their concerns feel heard, listened to, and valued.
- People on your team who can’t follow well are not really members of your team. If they are not on board the train, then, they probably were left at the station.
- Find ways to give people roles where they can use their strengths and their voices. Giving them that space where they can really contribute and excel is really important.
- Find the right people for your mastermind and spend time helping them to get to know each other and build connections.
- People need to understand what they are learning. They need to be able to quantify or qualify that. It’s important to give them time to reflect on and articulate what the experience was like to them as an individual.
- Creating a space where people can simply get their voice recognised, heard, and valued is really powerful.
- To be emotionally intelligent, you have to be able to recognise other people’s emotions and figure out how to connect with them.
The Buzz – Our Innovation Round
Here are Iggy’s answers to the questions of our innovation round. Listen to the conversation to get the full scoop.
- #1 thing to be more innovative – Be super willing and committed to go some place and do something without a role model.
- Best thing for new ideas – Find groups of like-minded people that support and challenge you.
- Favourite tool for innovation – Masterminds
- Keep project/client on track – Put everything in your calendar.
- Differentiate – Find your authentic voice. Really know who you are and speak with your authentic voice that is not your brand voice.
To Be a Leader
Everyone can be a leader. If you’re uncomfortable or unsure, you can build those skills. You can do it!
You can reach out and thank Iggy through their website.
Cool Things About Iggy
- She holds a Master’s Degree in Experiential Education and a teaching license in English Language Arts.
- She’s a part-time Faculty Member at Wayfinding Academy, and a Course Director at Voyageur Outward Bound School.
- She’s a certified Wilderness First Responder.