Ben Settle, The Email Player – Model the Masters – InnovaBuzz 128
Model the Masters – Ben Settle, The Email Player
In this episode of Model the Masters, we feature Ben Settle, The Email Player. We explore with Ben the topic of Lead Nurturing, and find out what values, beliefs and strategies are important to Ben in being a master at Lead Nurturing.
Ben is the founder of BenSettle.com and is known as the Master of the One Email Workday. Over the past 16 years, he has written ads, created email campaigns, and cooked up marketing strategies for clients that have collectively earned tens of millions of dollars in sales in hyper competitive, “cut throat” markets. His monthly print newsletter, The Email Players, is read by hundreds of people in over 30 countries, including by some of the most respected copywriters and marketers on the planet.
Kim Doyal on Model the Masters episode 122 nominated Ben as someone she admires for being a Master in Lead Nurturing.
Listen to the Podcast to find out what is important to Ben Settle about the Lead Nurturing SystemDon't be selfish. If you have a solution to someone's problems, let them know about it. @BenSettle on #InnovaBuzz podcast Click To Tweet
Show Notes from this episode with Ben Settle, The Email Player
Values related to Lead Nurturing System:
- Relationship building above everything.
- Be in your customers’ world. Talk about what is interesting to them all the time.
- Don’t be selfish. If you have a solution to someone’s problems, let them know about it.
- Vision drives decisions. Build the vision of a problem before really taking action.
- Daily communication. Talk to them everyday.
Beliefs related to Lead Nurturing System:
- Your relationship with your leads should always come first. As long as you are doing right by that, you are doing the right thing.
- You are safe as long as you are in your customers’ world, talking about what is important to them and not yourself. You cannot bore somebody if you are in their world.
- There is a difference between experts and leaders in someone’s mind. People buy from leaders because that leader recommended something and they know they can trust that leader. By daily communication, you become the leader in their mind.
- If people get mad, that is my fault.
- Leads should either be hot or cold, not lukewarm. If they are hot, they are going to buy from you. If they are cold, they will leave peacefully. But if they are lukewarm, they always have a problem. Those are the ones complaining to you about getting so many emails and wasting their time.
- You don’t need a lot of people to have an amazing business.
- NO is just actually the beginning of a negotiation. If they don’t tell you NO, they are probably not being very honest with you. NO is not a bad thing.
- It is a mistake to set number goals. You are better of just making the goal of getting up and doing what you have to do, and doing it better than you did the day before.
- Do the right things long enough consistently and you can pretty much move mountains.
Strategies related to Lead Nurturing System:
- Three E’s for email: Entertain, Educate, Elevate.
- Give people options for thinking differently.
- Having 100% outcome independence – zero neediness mindset. It should not affect you whether people buy from you or not.
- Abundance mentality – instead of asking people to buy, give people the opportunity to buy. It is a whole different mindset and it starts with the realization that there are more people that needs you.
- If you have something to say, say it. Don’t be afraid of losing people. Not asking for the sale is not only selfish but it is kind of needy to be scared.
Model the Masters – Exceptions Round
Here are Ben’s answers to the questions of our Exceptions round. Listen to the interview to get the full scoop.
- What behaviour do you DO to be great at Lead Nurturing? – Going for the NO. Outcome independence. Sometimes, people who honestly don’t like you or won’t agree with you become the longest and best customers you have.
- What are your 3 top beliefs for excelling at Lead Nurturing? Consistency trumps proficiency. Respect your leads.
- What is the key difference that makes THE DIFFERENCE for you in Lead Nurturing? – It all comes back to consistency. Being more consistent than your competition, even if they are more talented and have more resources than you. Consistently going after what you want everyday, dogmatically and ruthlessly. Just be more consistent than the other guy and eventually you are going to win.
Subscribe to Ben’s daily promotional emails and get a copy of the first issue of his Email Players Newsletter for free.
Ben nominated Matt Furey, bestselling author, coach, and President of the Psycho-Cybernetics Foundation as someone that he admires in Lead Nurturing.